Summer Concerts 2012
Rockin’ Out in Beaumont!
Beaumont's free Summer Concert Series is coming up, and a host of hit makers will be appearing: Starship with Mickey Thomas, Kool and the Gang, Taylor Dayne, and Night Ranger.
A Motown group scheduled to appear on July 25 will be replaced with the rock band Switchfoot. The group is now a world tour.
Now in its sixth year, the Summer Concert Series is a family-friendly event. Children can enjoy the park, with its swings and special skateboarding area. Parents can bring a barbecue from home or fire up one of many grills in Stewart Park. Fans can enjoy hamburgers, hot dogs, soft drinks and bottled water as they wait for the hits to begin. Beaumont will have plenty of community-minded police officers mingling with the crowd to offer assistance and make sure everyone has a good time.
Over the years, Beaumont has showcased a Who’s Who of rock ‘n’ roll. Those acts include Air Supply, America, War, Michael McDonald, LeAnn Rimes, Three Dog Night, the Commodores, Rick Springfield, Pat Benatar and so many others.
Stewart Park has become such a great venue where you can listen and dance to the hits of yesterday and make new musical memories that will last a lifetime!
Summer of music
The Summer Concert Series begins on the Fourth of July and runs through Aug. 8. The concerts are staged on Wednesday nights beneath the stars, and everyone is invited to bring blankets and lawn chairs for a picnic in the park with their neighbors. This is a hometown musical festival at its finest. In August, the Chamber will be presenting the local Top Forty pop band, Rude Boy. The band owns the Music Lab in Beaumont, which offers lessons to 100 students through its Rock Star Academy.
As a special added attraction, the Beaumont Chamber of Commerce will present “Market Night” during the Summer Concert Series. About 50 booths will offer food and merchandise.
If you’re hungry for hamburgers, hot dogs, Southern fried catfish, Thai food, German food, produce, roasted nuts, kettle corn, funnel cakes, and many more delicious treats, you’ll love Market Night! Concert-goers can also browse and shop for fine jewelry, sunglasses, hand crafted items, candles, fondue warmers and much more. The kids can enjoy playing in a Bounce House. Market Night booths along 10th Street will be open from 4 p.m. to encore time at the Summer Concert Series.
“We’re taking it to the people,’’ said Chamber Executive Director Sheri Bogh.
Summer Concert Series at Stewart Park:
- July 4, 5 p.m. —Starship with Mickey Thomas (“We Built This City,” “Fooled Around and Fell In Love,” and “Sara”). The Basix, a favorite local band, will open the show.
- July 11, 7 p.m.—Kool and the Gang (“Ladies Night,” Jungle Boogie,” and “Celebration”).
- July 18, 7 p.m.—Taylor Dayne (“Tell It To My Heart,” “I’ll Always Love You,” and “Love Will Lead You Back”).
- July 25, 7 p.m.— Switchfoot (“Meant To Live,” “Dare You To Move,” and “Stars.”
- Aug. 1, 7 p.m.—Night Ranger (“Sister Christian,” “Sentimental Street,” and “When You Close Your Eyes”).
- Aug. 8, 7 p.m.—Rude Boy. Three student bands (all-girl, under 10 years old and high school), and Family Jam from the Parent Academy will open the show.